Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: Gone Girl




I decided last month that I'd link up with Bon for her monthly blogger book club.  Book numero uno?  None other than the infamous "Gone Girl."  The easy answer: I loved it.  It was a complete mind fuck.  

**** Disclaimer: If you haven't read this book, consider this your spoiler alert ****


My first impression left me intimidated.  The book was large and it began with big words.  However, she quickly simplified her writing and it ran much faster.  I started the book reading very slowly and feared that I wouldn't get through it before the month was up.  Little did I know that I'd end up hooked, breeze through it and only end up late because I forgot we were linking up on the last Wednesday of the month.  Dang it! 

To begin with, I was impressed with her writing style.  The excessive use of the word fuck didn't bother me since my personal feeling is that if you're going to use a four-lettered word, you should go all out and use the mother of all words.  Ironically, I didn't feel the same about the word cunt.  You and Gillian Flynn can psychoanalyze me.  

I hated every single one of her characters for as much as I loved the book.  Amy was pathetic and psychotic-- she was as twisted as any human being could be.  I never would have imagined the things she came up with.  Nick was pathetic.  How hard is it to pay attention to your wife-- right, honey?  Are you reading this?  Sorry... back on track.  Amy's parents were fickle and immature.  Amy impressed me by how nuts she was and Nick impressed me by his ability to figure all of this out and maybe that's why they were so obviously made for each other.  He did initially confuse the hell out of me.  I had no idea why there were hints that he lied 5 times in a short conversation with the police.  What did he lie about?  Not that I cared enough later to go back and read it to figure out what the lies were.  

Bottom line, I loved it, recommended it to my mom (and many others) and think you should join us for our book club!


www.thelifeofbon.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh good! A coworker gave me her copy of this book and it's on my "fun reading" pile when I am all caught up with book reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Move it to the top of the pile! I loved this book. It was a complete mind fuck!

    ReplyDelete