Monday, July 1, 2013

Book Review: Crime & Passion by Chantel Rhondeau




A decorated police officer, more intent on justice than following the letter of the law, lands in trouble when a schoolteacher finds a dead body on the beach.
Officer Donovan Andrews knows how to have a good time--ask any woman in town.  But when it comes to men abusing their wives or children, Donovan takes it upon himself to make them regret it.
Madeline Scott is unlucky in love.  All she wants is a quiet place to heal, away from cheating, womanizing men.  However, her life is far from peaceful once she stumbles across the body and witnesses someone fleeing the scene.
Terror spreads in Pleasant View when the small community hears a killer is on the loose.  All evidence points to Donovan, and he realizes someone is trying to frame him.  When troubling suspicious from past surface, even fellow officers believe he's guilty.  Madeline might be the only person who can clear his name, but first he has to win her trust.  
The body count rises and no one is safe.  The murderer makes it clear Madeline is next.  Soon, Donovan's whole world is focused on protecting her and keeping himself out of prion.  The more time he spends with her, the harder it is to fight his growing attraction.  Since she's been burned by love, convincing Madeline he's interested in something more than hot sex may prove harder than keeping her alive.

This book surprised me.  I honestly assumed that I'd breeze through it and it would be some corny romance. It really wasn't bad.  That being said, it was a quick read-- I received a copy in digital format and Jack and I read it at bed time every night.  Ok, so he drank his bottle and I read after we read his story first.  

The characters were realistic people in a small town.  Madeline was a nice girl who was liked by all who unintentionally got caught up in more than she thought while walking some dogs as a side job.  Donovan is a charismatic man who is well known around town especially to the female population.  As a small town girl, this sort of thing happens in every small town.  

Chantel Rhondeau set up a very good story.  I really didn't guess the twist at the end until I nearly reached it. She set up the story very well and kept me guessing for a very long time.  I did suspect nearly everyone as the town murderer.  Either I'm a very poor guesser or she's a very good writer-- I'll say it's a little of both.

In the end, I enjoyed the book.  I probably won't read it again, but it was an enjoyable read that I found to be more suspenseful than passionate.  Or, perhaps, that's just because I enjoyed the suspense portion more than the passion.  It was better written.  I hope Miss Rhondeau continues with her talent of suspense writing.

Disclaimer:
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment